Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Denso Alternator

I'd been having some more issues with my Lucas alternator, so I took it apart and ordered a service kit, which included bushes, bearings, rectifier and regulator.  I started to overhaul the alternator, but during the process I decided that I was not really happy with the situation.  I wasn't convinced that I would not have further problems in the future, so I finally took the plunge and ordered a genuine Denso alternator.

The new alternator is rated at 40 amps, so should be more than sufficient for the modest electrical loads that my Avon can generate.  It weights about 2kg versus the 3kg of the Lucas, so there is a nice weight saving too.

When I removed the Lucas alternator I discovered that the lower mounting bracket had failed.  The front lug had snapped off and it was just the rear lug that was holding the alternator on.  It was lucky that I discovered this in the garage and not at the side of the road!

I took the old lower bracket to the local fabricator/welders.  They removed the old lugs and added strong new fixings for the Denso.

For the alternator tensioner I re-used the old upper bracket and connected it to the alternator with two rod ends and some 8mm threaded rod.

The main output connection is a threaded copper post.  I had a proper battery cable made up that had the correct size ring connector for the alternator on one end and the correct size at the other to connect to the starter motor connection (where the car's main loom terminates the +12v).  This arrange should be much better than the Lucas spade connections, which are prone to arcing.  The cable is more heavy duty than the original Tiger alternator output wire, so this can only help.

No comments:

Post a Comment