Sunday 11 March 2012

Updating the Dash Warning Lights

There are two warning lights wired into the Webcon loom: one for the RPM warning (shift light) and another for the ECU (warns of Throttle Position Sensor error or coolant overheat).  I'd always wanted to put these on the dash where I could see them.  Only problem is both are just plain red lights, and I didn't want to stick labels on the dash.  In the end I came up with a solution: 3mm Letraset and spray enamel.


The best method seemed to be to apply the letters to the warning light and then to add one quite thick coat of enamel.  Just enough so that it did not drip.  I tried two coats on another light and the second coat melted the first and it looked a mess.  Also I found that the Letraset had to be rubbed very well onto the light or the enamel would lift the areas of Letraset not properly in contact with the warning light surface.

Here is the end result, all four key warning lights right in my field of vision, or peripheral vision if I am looking at the road.


The dash doesn't look this scratched in real life.  Its the camera flash that seems to be very unflattering.



The alternator warning light was the original from Tiger.  I didn't have this fitted originally as I was planning to use the low voltage warning on the Acewell digital dash, but I hadn't realised that the alternator will not charge the battery unless the warning light is in the circuit.

The oil pressure light was added to replace the one on the Acewell.  I was not happy with the Acewell one as it was fairly small and partially hidden behind the indicator stalk.  I wanted this important warning light right where I could see it.  Only problem was they are only available in yellow.  Any production car has them in red, and so they should be as this is a warning as opposed to a caution.  My solution was to get a blank red warning light and add the word 'OIL' myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment